Catherine in South Africa

Sunday, January 31, 2010

After Two Months of Blog Slacking....

Christmas and the surrounding traditions, fun, and obligations surrounding it was fantastic. While I honestly didn't want to leave Sunny South Africa and the Kwasa kids, I was very excited to see my family and friends. I got to see family whom I haven't seen in years, watch a movie in 3D, eat mom's spaghetti, and see some of the most wonderful friends in the whole entire world. It was wonderful to end my "vacation" at St. John's and listen to and attempt to answer great and thoughtful questions from the Church School. (By the way, the kids LOVE their pen pal letters and we're working on responding!)

Immediately after landing in Johannesburg, I hopped on another flight to Cape Town. The next four days were so fun! It was gorgeous and warm (the antithesis of Atlanta and DC when I left them) and a great way to reenter the country. Meghan, a friend from here, was my travel companion and she graciously allowed me to be a tourist (hopefully I wasn't the obnoxious kind). We rode the cable car to the top of Table Mountain (I want to hike it next time), visited Robben Island, rode on a sunset cruise, ate Cape Malay food, and went on a wine tour while riding bike (the highlight of the trip for me).

Just as exciting was returning to Springs and work. I had convinced myself that all of the kids had forgotten about me and would have no recollection of my being there. Fortunately, I was met by dozens of smiles and hugs my first day back to After Care. The kids in the Pre Primary school weren't sure what to think of me at first since they are a totally new class. We're slowly getting there.

More to come soon. There is a mosquito buzzing around me and it's much quicker than my flip flop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home