Catherine in South Africa

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Automoblies

The last few weeks, we've been learning all about transportation. We've learned to look right, then left, then right when crossing the street, how many wheels a bicycle, car, or bus, has, and games like "red light, green light". This week however, we've begun talking about something that is pretty much only imaginary: air transport. As a teacher explained it, these children and their families have never had the opportunity to travel much farther than town, much less get on a plane and fly to a far away and exotic place.
What a strange thought for me. I drive all the time at home. Hours on end. Just to go to a movie or a mall or school, or to visit friends. I play on the boat in the summertime. And I fly 17 hours and 32 minutes to another hemisphere to work for a year. As we were pretending to go on a plane ride, we asked the kids where they would like to go. Many of them said, "to town!". After a more detailed explanation, they then said either "America" or "England". I wish I could take them all on a holiday.

In other news, today is my first day as an independent woman! By that I mean, I'm driving by myself! It's a great feeling, being mobile and knowing that if I need something, I can just get in the "bakkie" (truck) and go. So, when you come to visit me, I'll be able to pick you up from the airport. You should know, I feel as if I'm the average South African driver. That may or may not put you at ease. I'm about to drive to the gym...wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home