Catherine in South Africa

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So many exciting things happened in church aside from my two favorite parts (the Eucharist and the Peace, obviously). Two babies were baptized, I am now a Eucharistic Assistant, and a stained glass window was blessed and dedicated to the late Bishop David. Everything went very smoothly. I held Sharron's prayer book while she was baptizing the kids, so I got a great view of the facial expressions of the kids as the water was poured over their heads.

After church, I had my first driving lesson on a real road! MJ has a few gray hairs, but other than that, I'm chalking it up as a successful lesson. I do have a hard time remembering which side of the road to go to when I'm turning. Oops.

I arrived at Kwasa this morning at 7:45am and stayed there all day. It was a lot of fun. The kids are learning about traffic rules, so I taught them the game "Red Light! Green Light!".

After care was difficult because I was the only adult for most of the afternoon. I'm learning the necessity of a "teacher voice". They tend to listen to that voice more than the "I'm-being-really-nice-and-friendly" voice. I also implemented a reward system. If the class gets five stars, I'll give them a prize. You may say "bribery" but I say "peace and quiet".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home