Catherine in South Africa

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Happy Good Morning!

"Happy Good Morning, Everyone!" If I said this to you at Kwasa you would be in line waiting to wash your hands to begin the day. You would say, "Happy good morning Mrs. Cat." The 'th" sound is difficult for many of the kids to make, so they just call me Cat.

Anyway, it is a good morning. A good week all in all. There have been frustrations and disappointments, however. Let's start with those. On Wednesday, people broke into Kwasa. It was described as an annoyance and as something we didn't have time for. I was so angry. How could someone steal from a project that helps children grow and learn? I didn't understand. Later, my emotions were twisted up in knots as I learned that the only items stolen were pieces of bread. Imagine being so hungry that you have no choice but to throw all principles out the window to survive. I was heartbroken.

Sharron commented that if someone really was that hungry, they could just ask her, and she would help. Allow me to be cynical for a moment - how many people would do that? Would I?

I learned this week that crime and violence has many more layers than I once thought. Anger, revenge, survival, sense of entitlement, and sometimes, just pure meanness are some of the motives.

But with every frustration and sadness comes joy and happiness.

I was invited to attend the opening Eucharist of Synod (like our General Convention). It was a wonderful service with a Zula choir and a very inspiring sermon by the Bishop. The diocese has many challenges to face like crime, HIV, and education, but the clergy and congregations are so excited to take them on; it was very fun to be part of it if only for a few hours.

Kwasa has been really fun this week. I taught the kids "The Wheels on the Bus" (their favorite part was saying "beep, beep, beep") and two types of freeze tag. I have so much fun with them and I think just in those few hours I get my laugh quota in for the day. The after care children now have two of five stars. I suppose I need to start thinking about what their prize should be. I'd love your suggestions.) I got to go with Gill (the principle) and two children from Kwasa to the clinic. I sat with a little girl who has trouble walking on her right leg. One of the muscles is shorter than the one on her left leg. With stretches and exercises everyday, her leg will develop normally. Otherwise, she will either need an operation or limp for the rest of her life. I'm looking forward to spending time with her and watching her progress.

One more happy for you to read. My birthday was yesterday, and it was so so fun. This was the first time I've ever turned 23, in South Africa, in summertime, and it was absolutely wonderful. The best part I didn't even know was coming...a surprise party! How fun, right? I'm so thankful for the friends I've made here. People are so thoughtful and fun and genuine and I'm so happy that I get to be a part of these people's lives this year. Also, thank you everyone at home for the birthday wishes. You were with me in spirit (and your cards, calls, emails, etc.)!

I'm expecting the coming week to be just as adventurous and full of stories and emotion and, of course, God.

2 Comments:

  • Hey Cat,
    You forgot to mention the best part of your birthday party - you were on the winning team of a game of "30 Seconds"! ("Not that winning is that important", ha ha ha, but hey, what's the point of playing if not to win?) Looking forward to seeing your great photo's on this blog! Lots of love and congratulations that you're actually doing this blog, Suz ;)
    Incidentally, ideas for prizes for your third graders: chocolates, your awesome cookies and milk (love that, SO American!), chocolates, a day off school, chocolates, painting finger nails with glitter nail polish (for the girls - will any of the boys ever rate a "good behaviour" prize anyway?), chocolates, a treasure hunt where the treasure is ... you guessed it!

    By Blogger Unknown, At October 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

  • Hi, Catherine. We printed out all your blog posting to date for the children in our 4-6th grade Sunday school class. They read the pages out loud and we talked about singing "The Wheel on the Bus", line dancing, and the break in. That prompted a lot of interesting conversation. As you know, it is hard for them to really understand how people can be that hungry, but they had deep thoughts about the motivation. We also talked about what "cynical" means. Lots of good lessons in your blog for our children here.
    As for suggestions on how to reward the Kwasa youngsters, we thought you could make stars, put their names on them, and either stick them on the ceiling or hang them from string or ribbon from the ceiling. After all, if you try hard and learn, the sky is the limit. We are so interested in what you are doing and are proud that you are part of St. John's. The children really feel connected to Kwasa and you are making that connection even stronger. Nancy Mathis and Carrie Garland

    By Blogger Unknown, At November 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home