Catherine in South Africa

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sanibonani everyone!

Don't be impressed. I've been in South Africa for almost one month now, and I still have lots to learn about the language. I have, however, managed to learn many of the kids names at Kwasa, and for that I'm very thankful.

To begin, I apologize for the delay in blogging. I don't have my own internet, and I don't want to wear out my welcome by constantly asking to use someone else's computer. I will now get you up to speed with my life thus far in Springs, South Africa.

On my last Sunday in the States, a woman from St. John's asked me, "why are you doing this?" I stammered off a quick answer, but later I realized that my answer, "because I've always wanted to" just wasn't enough for me. I'm in Springs working at St. Peter and St. Paul's and Kwasa in hope to seek clarity about who God is calling me to be and what God is calling me to do. With that comes a totally new bag of challenges I've yet to face in my life - a new culture, new language, new joys and sadnesses, new worldview, and new ways of occupying my time have arisen.

Since the minute Sharron and others greeted me at the airport, I have felt nothing but warmth and hospitality from my new church family. For the first two weeks, I lived with my now neighbor, Suzanne. It was so wonderful to have that transition where Suzanne helped me get the lay of the land and showed me parts of the world I never dreamt of seeing. You see, I arrived at an odd time. The schools were on holiday, so I couldn't go work at Kwasa. So we took the opportunity to make our own holiday. I visited Maropeng, the Cradle of Humankind, which was facinating! It was like a hands-on review of my physical anthropology class. I also visited Gold Reef City, an old mine that is now a theme park. Suz took me and three children that she supports from Kwasa. I took them on their first roller coaster ride. (I don't think they'll thank me for it until they're older. Their tummies were a bit queasy afterwards.) We also got to go way far down in the earth to see a real mine. I'll admit, I got a little nervous. (You all know how I don't like the Metro - imagine a gold mine!)

As my time here progresses (and it's flown by so far), I'm slowly finding my place here. I love my work as it's new and different everyday. Sharron is great about keeping me informed and inviting me to different services, etc. to be able to better see the big picture. The blessing of Kwasa House was wonderful. Many of the Kwasa kids came to see five of their classmates' new home be blessed. Five vulnerable girls were chosen by Sharron to live in a house to form their own family and have a more stable environment. It was so fun to see the Bishop in his fancy attire with all of these kids behind him!

Going to church was hard the first couple of weeks. I've grown up with church as the focal point of my Sunday since I can remember, and before. \evenWhen I am in a new place, I know that I can count on church centering me and allowing me to worship God with others. Church is a comfortable place for me because it's always been part of me and as an Episcopalian, I know what's coming next! Even though things are generally the same here in the Anglican Church, I didn't know the prayers, the order is somewhat different, and I felt like a second grader at lunch time wondering who I could sit with. It was very stressful. With lots of thought and prayer, I realized that I had the wrong attitude. Church had become too comfortable for me. I had become the kind of Christian whose feathers got ruffled if change happened. I realized that Church is about being together with God, and that people do that in zillions of ways and they are all good. So, I am getting more familiar with the prayers, but more importantly, I wake up on Sunday mornings ready to hear what God has to say to us through the service at St. Peter and St. Paul's. I love when there is a hymn sung in Zulu. I don't know what we're saying, but it sounds so joyful!

The focal point of my weeks revolve around Kwasa After Care. It was a bit intimidating at first, but now I absolutely love it. I work a lot with the third graders, and they are very energtic people. Sometimes, I sigh and wonder how they can have this much to say and that many reasons to get out of their seats, but then I realized we were all the same way. Except not.

I am truly inspired by these kids. They come from such different and oftentimes unthinkable backgrounds that it's almost impossible to believe that they go to school in a language not their own and do quite well. Most of the time, I sit with them individually as they read me a story, and when they are finished with their homework, we play games like pick up sticks or memory or I read them a story, or play outside. I'm working on making the after care more consistent for the kids. I want to have different activities each week like art, pe, cooking, or a science lesson. It will certainly be a challenge, but it's worth a try.

If you've read this far, I'm very impressed. I promise my blogs from now on will be firstly, more frequent, and also shorter!

Some odd and perhaps interesting things I'm doing....
1. learning to drive a stick shift on the other side of the road. yes, it's scary even though everyone continues to say, "Oh it's so easy! You probably already have the hang of it right?"
2. practicing the clicking noises. the kids are helping me. really, they are laughing at me, so it's fun.
3. tea time! i love love love tea time. the best part is that there are tea times!
4. living all by myself. mostly wonderful, but sometimes i get a bit lonely.
5. journalling a lot.
6. saying morning and evening prayers everyday. that has probably been one of the best parts of my stay here. i've always promised myself and God to be more consistent in my prayers, but this is the first time i've been this diligent and it makes all the difference in my spiritual life.
7. waking up early and going to the gym. some of you probably don't believe me on that one.
8. i joined a line dancing class! as most of you know i "hate" dancing, but really i just feel self-conscious. however, since i don't know anyone here, what's to lose? i really like it. it's me and a bunch of middle aged south african women. that in itself is entertainment enough.

thank you all so much for your prayers and support during my time here. i really wouldn't be here without you all. so thanks.

more soon!

4 Comments:

  • Love, love, love your blog!

    All the best,
    Kathleen

    By Blogger KJStanley, At October 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

  • Welcome to the blog world!!! I am so excited that you have started this! I keep wondering what you are up to and how you are adjusting. Chris and I pray for you often! Love you.

    By Blogger Stacia Petrancosta, At October 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM  

  • Catherine,
    We're all so proud of you.
    Send me your e-mail so you can get the Grace Embraces and keep up with things at home.
    I will put your blog information on the "blue sheet" so others can read it. It was very interesting.
    You're in our prayers.
    Diane Minton

    By Blogger Unknown, At October 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM  

  • Like country line dancing from the South? Sounds fun, all of it. I can imagine that it would be quite tough to move to the other side of the world, but I hope that your call becomes clearer for you there. Know that we're praying for you each week at St. John's.
    Blessings,
    Robert

    By Blogger Robert Black, At October 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home